Tomorrow is the day. Hot Cross Buns! So what’s the best bun? What’s the cheapest? The tastiest? I have chosen 5 buns to review for you before you go out and grab whatever. In no particular order . . .
1. Baker’s Delight – Soft and fruity with just the right amount of spice. These buns are big and delicious and I like the fact that they have them in a range of flavours like chic chip, traditional and fruitless (though, with the latter, what’s the point?). My only criticism is that they can be a little soggy and perhaps undercooked. Cost around $2 each.
2. Phillipa’s – A little skinny, but – wow- flavoursome and full of spices. The fruit is a little light on, but these buns are still damn tasty. They are on the dear side, though, at $3.50 each!!
3. Emmaline’s – Very lovely buns, these. I was a bit disappointed with the clarity of the cross at the top of the bun, but the bun itself was fluffy, light and with just the right amount of fruit. There is no citrus peel in these buns. $8 per pack of six.
4. Tip Top Cafe Style – These buns are the pick of the bunch for me – soft, fruity, big and filling. They are also quite inexpensive at around $6 per pack of six.
5. Heston’s Hot Cross Buns (for Coles) – Delicious! I love a bit of citrus and these buns have it! Lemon Myrtle infused that are aromatic when heated and really lovely with melted butter. They are a brioche bread, so light and fluffy, too! $8 for four.
So that’s my pick of what’s out there. I Hope you have a Good Friday and enjoy your buns!